Monday, September 28, 2009

Kentucky Center for School Safety

After my recent post on digital citizenship, I've been thinking about resources available to help CIOs get the message out. We do a great job of analyzing the problem and we all know that there are probably good resources out there, but who has time to find them? I can't find them all, but I'll help where I can. Thus, I thought I'd feature the web site for the Kentucky Center for School Safety.

KCSS is a partnership of several contract agencies: Eastern Kentucky University, the University of Kentucky, Murray State University and the Kentucky School Boards Association. They work to distribute relevant information to our school districts. I'm struck by the number of safe school issues that are technology-related. Cyberbullying, sexting and internet safety are all featured on the KCSS home page.

I can't do the site justice in a quick blog entry, but here are a few things worth noting:

* There is contact information to coordinate cyberbullying and internet safety training

* There's a whole section of useful handouts related to internet safety

* A wealth of statistics, information and handouts related to cyberbullying

* An interesting article by Jon Akers on school cell phone policy

This is just one site with quite a bit of information available to help us educate others on these important issues. Hope it helps!

No comments: