Friday, April 24, 2009

Web 2.0 session follow-up: What mic was that?

I guess I'll do a quick product plug from my impromptu effort at using UStream to broadcast our Web 2.0 discussion this week (which went VERY well, by the way). I was using a run-of-the-mill webcam and it was placed some distance away, which naturally led to fair video quality at best. Expect the student video to be of much higher quality, and we'll be working to get that archived in the near future.

The audio, by all accounts, was not bad at all. Kudos to Kenny and Linda in Henderson County for bringing the Telex M-560 USB microphone. I had seen Kenny use this at the regional TIS meetings and asked him to bring it along. According to this reviewer, this microphone was originally created in an effort to provide a good voice recognition solution that wasn't attached to headphones. Though you can read various reviews that debate the effectiveness of the voice recognition, the microphone was more than adequate to use as an audio source for our UStream broadcast.

I would have linked the product, but I think it's been on the market long enough to no longer be available. Here's an Amazon link stating as much...

No comments: