Thursday, July 30, 2009

Allway Sync: Free File Synchronization

Ever heard of this product? Allway Sync touts free file and folder synchronization for Windows. A district today was nice enough to show me this product and what seemed to be a very clean, easy-to-use interface. Need to back up that Exchange database, a PST or the 'My Documents' folder of that user that will find a way to accidentally delete it? This may do the trick. It states that it is free "for moderate personal use only". Of course, the 'pro' license is all of $19.95 for a device.

I believe you can also copy from a single source to multiple destinations (at least that's what the screen shot seems to indicate).
I've seen what several districts are trying to do with low-cost backup solutions and this might be a viable option for those who don't want to hold their breath and rely on a manual copy/paste or scripting a copy operation and wondering if it was successful.

1 comment:

Jeff Nelson said...

I have been using the free version for at least 6 months to back up My Documents and several other folders (mainly my AMP server folders) to an external USB drive. Works great and would recommend it to anyone.

I'm going to have to buy the $19.95 pro version though since if you synchronize the number of files I have been backing up more frequently then about every two weeks you get a nag screen that says the program may not work after a while. Still a great program for twenty bucks.

Jef