Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Title IID, EETT, ARRA, etc.

I'm sure I've posted about this in the past, but I thought I'd take a fresh look at what's being stated regarding EETT (Title II Part D) funding for Kentucky, particularly as it relates to ARRA (or 'stimulus') funding. I have no inside knowledge of any relevance and I'm simply going to use Kentucky's state table posted on the USDOE web site (KY is page 43) for my analysis:

First, note that the FY2008 actual figure is $3,886,884. There's a certain small amount held back at the state level for administrative purposes, but let's assume that this is the grand total. This is the amount that Kentucky divides into a 50% formula-based distribution, with the other 50% being distributed via competitive grant application.

When looking at the "Recovery Act Estimate" column, I see a value of $9,899,923. That's a 254.7% increase of the actual FY2008 amounts and this is exactly why I tell school district to expect a one-time Title IID amount of roughly 2.5 times their FY2008 allocation. Again, I'll stress that I have no official information that states this - it simply makes sense based on the federal estimates. It's fair to assume that there will be roughly half of that larger amount distributed via competitive grant. With 250% of the funds available, we would certainly hope that more districts would be awarded and the awarded amounts would be larger than before.

Looking ahead to the "FY2009 Estimate", I see $4,029,567. This is similar to the FY2008 actual amount. Accordingly, my advice to districts is to expect a 'traditional' FY2009 amount similar to the FY2008 figure in addition to the one-time ARRA fund injection. For the short term, this is a wonderful development!

Lastly, pay attention to the "FY2010 Estimate". The figure is $1,501,732! I hadn't noticed this before and this is strictly an estimate at this time, but I think it's important to point out that current documentation suggests a significant drop-off in Title II Part D funding after the coming stimulus funding and FY2009 allocation. A 62.7% decrease from FY2009 to FY2010 is worth pointing out as you consider long-term plans for Title II Part D funding (or lack thereof).

No comments: